types - all

A few weeks ago I was chilling at Hermann Park while waiting to meet up with a sister in Christ. God brought this thought to mind. Who goes to the park? What do they look like? Are park-goers the typical mid 20's/early 30's yuppie or middle class family? What do they wear? Work out clothes, shorts or "park" attire?

Here is a snapshot of what I saw in the few min. I was sitting. You tell me who is the "typical" park-goer and do they fit the image or "stereotype" you had in mind.















Pretty interesting the different types of people from all different walks of life. Some fit the "typical" stereotype of park-goers and some obviously didn't. Some were at the park to enjoy, workout and some clearly lived in the park.

As I saw the images of those different people walk by all with different motives and reasons for being at the park, I thought about the local church. Do we have an image of what people are suppose to look like or not look like before entering into our church? Are we willing to remove our preceived notions and get rid of any stereotypes we may have? The last time I checked the local church was called to welcome and embrace people from all different walks of life and with different motives and reasons for coming into our churches. We don't care what they look like coming in, as long as they get a chance to meet their Maker.

Praise God for the wave of this realization and how many local churches are opening up to all types of people. Let's take the limits and stereotypes off of people and just welcome and love them. I am sure glad someone gave me a chance and didn't "write" me off based on what they saw on the outside.

Comments

Popular Posts