Word for Today: In Him

"I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing." John 15:5

God is The Source and our very Source for everything. Apart from Him, we have nothing, we cannot do anything that will bear lasting eternal results (fruit) and essentially, there is no life.

Our life is to declare our dependence and reliance upon God and God alone for every situation and area of our life. Whether it is direction and counsel for a relationship, job, ministry, school or just day-to-day decisions, we are to completely lean on Him for He is the Source, the Vine. Self-reliance and sufficiency is a dangerous place because we "branch out" on our own in our own limited understanding and ability. Soon if not later, the fruit of self-reliance and dependence will yield frustration if not also heartache because we are disconnected or "cut off" from the true Source of what our lives need.

Dependence and reliance in the world's eye can be deemed as someone being weak or co-dependent. It can even go against the grain of thought of the need for "independent" living. As far as God is concerned and in His World, the truth is that I am "weak" but in Him I am strong, I am co-dependent upon Him because I am a co-heir of Christ and I do not want to live independently from Him because He is all knowing and powerful and I am not. Dependence and reliance upon God for every move and decision in life is a sure plan to live a life that is securely attached to the Vine and to yield a life that bears much fruit.

Prayer: Dear Lord, please forgive me when I have attempted to live my life apart from you. I declare and confess my reliance and dependence upon you and you alone. Help me to remain connected to you as I daily spend time in your Word. I dare not step out on my own for my life is completely dependent upon you. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts