Word for Today: I Pledge!

“For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him…” II Chronicles 16:9a

I pledge (vow, oath, promise) my allegiance (loyalty, devotion, faithfulness and duty) to Christ and Christ alone.

We all desire to belong and to be apart of something greater than ourselves. We long to belong and to be identified with a particular group (including “Christian” groups or even a particular denomination) and that’s quite alright. I believe that is one of the reasons why millions of fans flock to games and sport arenas year after year. For some, they are die hard fans to a particular team and for others; perhaps they enjoy that thrill of some sense of “unity” or identification with a group of people towards one goal or rather, one team.

While it is true that God has designed each of us with a desire to belong, the question I pose today is to whom do you belong or do you identify yourself with? I sense God is challenging His people to give supreme honor and respect to the King of Glory first – in our heart. Let’s properly give allegiance to God as Supreme in our lives.

We get excited over sports and movie stars and do not hesitate to make it known to which team we are "affiliated" with or which movie star or TV show we absolutely love. We can even get excited over Christian “celebrities” or pastors to whom we respect. That's cool but let me ask you, how about when it comes to our God? The Great I AM?

As we properly give allegiance to God as supreme in our lives, it will be a natural and healthy byproduct to honor and respect the men and women of God He has placed around us. Let’s continue to “cheer” and root for one another as we long to see Team God win the race, and we will. But above all, may we be screaming and excited fans pledging our allegiance to Jesus Christ!

Prayer: Dear Father, my allegiance belongs to you and you alone. I praise you for the great men and women of God you have placed in my life. I hold them as great examples and inspirations but I follow and desire to be conformed into Your Image. I desire to belong to you and you alone. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts