dangerous

Some people never start their day without a cup of coffee. Some religiously must watch the news or read the newspaper before they leave the house. Others must have that one breakfast that just jump starts their day. For me, I never want to know what it is like to begin my day without God. How dangerous and surely I am willingly subjecting myself to harms way when I fail to begin my day with the One who holds my days.

God is my protector. He is my great counselor and He guides my every step. He is my vision, my purpose. He is wisdom, knowledge, grace and the miracle worker. I would be a fool to not begin my day with Him. It would be as if a warrior going to war without his/her weapon, shield, instruction from commanding officer.

Today I was in bit of a rush wanting to be proactive and get things done and I slipped out of the house saying a quick prayer and off on a mission to find a coffee house to spend time with God. I justified not spending time with God at home because I was going to look for a place to spend time with Him. Mistake. Two hours wasted, with intentions of being proactive and using my time wisely. I had good intentions but sometimes, good intentions can't save ya. I am back at home (where I started!) having repented and spent time with God. Is there anything wrong with wanting to go somewhere and spend time with God? Are we only limited to the confines of our home because we can't "leave" the house without our devotion? No, that is legalism.

For me today, God whispered in my ear, just chill out and spend a few moments with me before you head out. I was in such a hurry to get on with my schedule and day, which did include spending time with Him but I missed the entire point. If we have the time, just do it. God is all knowing. He knows what will happen and so the Holy Spirit will gently caution and guide us if we are willing to listen.

So funny. I ended up back where I started if I had just started where I was at. Great lesson.

Sometimes as Christians I think we can get caught up in the "appearance" of things that we miss the entire point and purpose all together. I wanted to spend time with God but I wanted to do it where I wanted and how I wanted and all God cared about was me just spending time with Him wherever and whenever even if it wasn't convenient or how I would have envisioned or wanted - my own "terms."

Comments

Popular Posts