2 Questions

So well written by Dr. Harold Sala of Guidelines.org.

Here is a blurb from today's commentary that stood out to me. His msg. has had me pondering about what is in my own hand & my reach & how I can use it.

It reads:

"Today there is a myth which has infected the thinking of people--the myth that the needs of the world are so great, and I am so helpless and insignificant that I can do nothing which really makes a difference. "And besides," people reason, "I didn't make the mess which confronts the world. I'm not responsible."

That myth must be countered by asking two questions: "What do I have in my hand?" and "What is the reach of my arm?" Both of those questions speak of the measure of responsibility. God never holds you responsible for what you cannot do, for what you do not have, for where you cannot go. But He holds you accountable for what you can do, for what you do have, and for where you can go.

What do you have in your hand? ...you have three things in your grasp: (1) time, (2) talents and abilities, and (3) resources.

When Moses complained that he had been out in the desert for too long to be of any help to God, he was asked, "What do you have in your hand?" Moses replied, "A rod, an old shepherd's staff." God said, "Throw it down!"

Are you willing to take what you have in your hand--time, ability, and your resources--and give that to God by doing something about the needs of those near you? But you say, "God can do this without me!" True, but God works through people, and no person gives anything to God without receiving something of far greater value.

The second question, "What is the reach of my arm?" gets you started. It is absolutely amazing what people are able to accomplish who do not know that they cannot do anything, but are completely willing to depend on the Lord and do what they can.

What are the needs in your neighborhood, within driving distance of where you live, within reach of your check book? Most lasting works of charity were started by one individual--a person who was too stubborn to even think that he could not make a difference. He saw a need and met that need."

Comments

Popular Posts