emotions

I love that I am an emotional creature. But at times, I hate that I am an emotional creature! Does any female out there feel me? Too funny.

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't imagine living void of emotions and feelings. Is that really living? Man, what richness of life would I be missing out. And yes, this even means emotions that are not so warm and fuzzy like frustration, disappointment, stress or even sadness.

God graciously reminded me last night to cut myself some slack. I am fairly critical and hard on myself when I don't feel like I am 'thinking' or 'feeling' like I should. Come on, you know those days. For whatever reason you just feel a little more annoyed or short on patience than you normally would be. So in the quietness of my sanctuary, I inquired and analyzed my emotions to sort the source of it all. And with gentleness, God reminded my heart of a few things that once again released this redeemed perfectionist. When my emotions are all over or more sensitive than normal, I stop and assess a few things:

1. What is going on around me? (people, noises, etc.)
2. What is going on in me? (God getting my attention -- un-dealt emotions that need to be addressed, spiritual state (worship, the Word), etc.)
3. What external changes or circumstances are contributors? (new job, new atmosphere, etc.)

As I quickly assessed, I realized over the past 2.5 weeks much has happened, great things but even still, things begin to take a toll when I am off my regular routine/schedule. I am such a creature of habit, routine brings me peace! Praise God, I'm not a miserable grouch after all (can you tell I have some drama queen tendencies as well? LOL.) but every aspect of me (emotional, mental, physical and spiritual) has been stretched. Thankfully, I will return to my routine and 'normal' life come Friday! I praise God for the grace to do His will for the appointed time but my emotional, mental, spiritual and physical state have a way of letting me know when it's time! Glory. I love the dynamics of how God makes all of this work together.

While yes there are external factors and changes that are contributors, I cannot neglect another important aspect of what I need to do:

1. Take control and responsibility of my emotions -- feelings and thoughts. Period. Everyday.
2. Reclaim my freedom and walk in and out of that freedom. Everyday.

This is my job while the Holy Spirit empowers me to do so.

So yes, I am an emotional creature and at times, I don't even know what my own emotions mean! But ironically, that's the beauty of it all. Everything in life has this sole purpose: pointing us back to Christ. My life is utterly dependent on God and this also means asking and depending on Him to tell me what my own emotions mean because who would know me better than the One who created me.

So whatever storm or emotional bout, it's all good because it leads me right back to God reminding me of my need and dependence of Him. And yet again, our relationship is deepened. And that my friend, brings Him much glory.

Comments

Popular Posts