March 31, 2011

March 31, 2011 - the most important decision EVER made by Joshua Mai, my 7 year old nephew. He invited Jesus Christ into his heart! And beloved, I had the incredible honor to lead him in that important prayer.

How did it start? It's Thursday night, graduate homework is due. Praise God I finished the assignment due for the evening but was getting a head start on the assignment due Saturday. I run downstairs with the intention of jumping on the computer to email myself a document and locking myself back in my room to finish the assignment. As I make my way down, Joshua insists on me giving him a bath (I know he is 7, but he still won't take a bath unless it's his mom and on occasions when she is not available, its' me. We'll pray for him about that one later! lol). Joshua has this way of asking and you just cave. No biggie, I didn't hesitate because I enjoy that time I have with him.

So we get the water running and he's taking his bath. All of a sudden he looks up at me and asks, "will I see you in heaven?" I respond, "if you believe in Jesus, yes you will see me in heaven." Joshua then asks, "how do I know if I am going to heaven?" So then I go into my explanation of God the Father, sin, Jesus, the Cross - you know, but in simple terms. Then he asks me, "what happens to people who don't believe in Jesus?" I explained to him, "well, the people who don't believe have to go to a place that is not good. It is called hell." Prior to this, we were having a casual conversation. But as soon as he heard about hell, he looked at me with this fear on his face and said, "I don't want to go there." Joshua immediately became aware of his state and his need of a Savior.

At that point, I asked him if he would like to ask Jesus into his heart. We went through the ABC (admit, believe, confess) and he understood. He then said, I don't know what to pray. I told him don't worry, just repeat after me. As I opened my mouth, he began to cry. God was touching his heart. He couldn't explain why he was crying but as soon as we said 'amen,' his countenance literally changed immediately. He was at peace, calm, and happy. Confident.

That night we got talking more. He asked more thought provoking questions. He was able to share with his parents and others of his decision. So now when he says good-bye to someone, he says, 'I'll see you in heaven.' He was so proud to list off the names of people he knew HE would see in heaven because he was confident of his decision and where he is going.

Joshua is no longer afraid.

I wonder today if you know that you know where you are going once you pass from this earth and if you know, how do you know? What is your premise?

May God help us to sense the urgency of the Gospel. May our prayers be this for our unsaved family and friends: "God open their eyes and hearts to see their need of a Savior, Jesus Christ."

Comments

Popular Posts