Black Friday

Did any brave soul camp out at midnight or wake up in the early morning hours to catch a few good sales? This year, I was able to join in with most of America and did the Black Friday bit. It was fun, it's been nearly 5 years since I have been with my family for Thanksgiving. The deals were okay, the time with my sisters was the steal of the day.

It's amazing what people will do to get a good deal. And let's not forget the patience and dedication of those who camped out in the cold hours to be the first in the store. Or the committed shoppers who waited in mile long lines at the checkout counter. It's amazing. Truly a sight to see. What drive and determination would motivate someone to such great lengths? Is it the hype? The experience? Bragging rights?

I wonder what our churches would look like if we all brought the same "Black Friday" determination to the way we worship God. What would happen if the same drive, determination, patience and excitement was brought into the local church? What would our faith look like if we patiently waited and pushed in for the 'prize?' What great reward awaits us!

The cry of my heart this holiday season is to bring it on. So many have gone to great lengths just to save a few dollars or to get the latest electronic or game. Make no mistake, I'm not knocking good deals but all things require a proper balance. The things we buy cannot save our soul nor does it have lasting eternal value.

As believers, a question is begged of us: Is He worthy? How much more does the King of all kings deserve from me and of me? The One who has rescued my soul surely deserves greater honor and devotion than a '50% off sale.'

Black Friday. There is something we can learn. Let's bring it on everyday and give our all to the One who is only deserving.

Comments

Popular Posts