Part III: Noah Michael Truong

Noah Michael Truong arrived on Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 6:25pm. He weighed in at 6 pounds 8 ounces, 20 inches long. Our little man could not be more perfect!
 
noah 1 day old. 
God is infinitely gracious and merciful. Our baby boy is healthy and strong. We praise God for His grace and compassion for our family. Every time I look at my precious baby, I am overwhelmed at God's goodness and love.  Noah is only 2 weeks old but man does he already have some mileage on him! Packing up in NC, driving from NC to TX, unpacking into temp apt, commuting to Waco from Fort Worth, and packing again to move from temp apt to new residence.  Whew, our little man is a trooper (believe you me, we don't plan it this way!)

Noah means "rest, comfort, peaceful." Indeed, Noah proves true to his name inside the womb, and outside. He is a delight, he is our delight.

chilling at home.
Childbirth is no joke! It's serious stuff. Bringing a child into the world is a miracle, a gift from God. Obviously never being pregnant previous, I did not realize the health risks and possible complications for mother or child. How I praise God for a safe pregnancy and delivery. Nothing short of God's grace. Nothing of me, but all of God.

morning of delivery.  at the hospital in maternity observation room.
Noah is blessed. He has the love of his parents and extended family. And if that were not enough, we have had an overwhelming outpouring of love and support from friends - pleasant surprises.  I think God loves surprises and will often use the "unlikeliest" people to do His bidding. We are encouraged and renewed. 

We are incredibly grateful for the physical provisions. Noah has received so many wonderful gifts. But even more, we cherish and value all of the sincere and genuine prayers, care and love. Thank you to those who text, prayed and made contact with us over the past 9 months. Your act of love has ministered to us, more than we can share right now.  We forever treasure in our heart.

surprise visit from excited in-laws from houston within hours of discharge from hospital.  i had just enough time for a shower! :) thanks for coming.

I'm excited to see more of Noah's personality. So far, he is the spitting image of his father (according to everyone). He also has his dad's temperature (does not like to be hot) and sleeps with his arms free. Both father and son do not like to be "tied" down - they need their freedom! Noah is even tempered, and well behaved but make no mistake, he has some fire in him and if you don't set boundaries, he'll test the boundaries. Hmmm...this is sounding more and more like his daddy! We like to call it passion. :)

napping with daddy.
Noah sleeps to instrumental music but during the day, it's all praise and worship. Currently his favorite worship song (mommy and daddy's favorite song too! It is our 2013 declaration song).



We look forward to the adventures with Noah Michael Truong!!
 
*****************************
Days leading up to delivery and D-day:
 
Noah was born on Thursday, December 27 at 6:25pm. He weighed 6 lbs 8 oz. 20 inches long in length. I kept wondering when he was coming and was getting a little anxious. But God always knows best and His timing is perfect.
I went on maternity leave December 14, 2012.  A little earlier than planned but God ordained and orchestrated every detail. Who would have knew computer issues would be an answered prayer!
 
We barely had anything purchased or Noah's room set up.  We barely moved into the new apartment and my husband had just barely finished his finals.  It took us an entire week and half to purchase, return, purchase, assemble and finally, his room was set up. 

Christmas eve and day rolled around.  It was quiet.  A little too quiet for my liking - or rather, it was different.  This was the first Christmas in all 8 years of marriage it has ever been just the two of us, well, the three of us.  I am use to big family gatherings and lots of hustle and bustle. So the quietness of this years festivities made me a little uncomfortable but again, God has his ways.  It was a struggle but I knew God wanted me to relax to prepare for labor.  It's been non-stop for us the past 9 months.  God knows me better than I know myself.  God loves me too much to give me what I think I want, He gives me the best, what I need.  Rest and sleep is what I needed because little man would soon be on his way.  And not to mention, my amazing husband needed rest.  I've carried Noah for 9 months but beloved has shouldered the both of us, school, moving, cooking and everything in between.  Now that I think about it, perhaps the quiet Christmas was for my man!
 
We had a white Christmas - Michael asked for it, and we got it.  I was praying it would clear up soon for Noah's sake and for my mom flying in from Greensboro, NC.  It did.   
 
The days leading up to Noah's arrival, we camped out at home watching movies.  We (meaning Michael) even had time to make extra food to freeze.  Our bags were packed, the house was in order but one thing, putting the bed skirt on our bed. 
It took me a while to relax.  I kept wondering and wondering when would be the day.  Finally, on December 26, I resigned, prayed and told God, I am not going to rush or pressure Noah to come, he'll come when he's ready and when you says it's time (releasing control and the need to "know" every detail!) 
 
We put the bed skirt on the bed Wednesday (December 26) night. No joke.  I literally knew once we put the bed skirt on (finishing touches) and yielding to God's time table for Noah's arrival, Noah would come. 
 
Thursday, at 4am, I had stomach cramps. I was spotting.  I knew something was different, and today was the day.
 
My prayer had always been for God to make it very clear to me when it would be time.  I didn't want any false alarms.  And most definitely did not want to be rushed or frantic when the time came. God answered. I laid back in bed and started counting my contractions. I was very calm and at peace.  My contractions were about 5 minutes apart.
 
At 6am, I woke Michael up. We decided to shower and get ready. We were both calm and took our time. I put on makeup, curled my hair and put last minute items into our bags.  God is gracious.  He answers those prayers that may even seem "superficial" but for me, that's him loving me!
 
By 7:45am, I was starving.  We headed out for some Chick-Fil-A.  I had a doctor appointment the same day at 10:30am.  We debated waiting and going to the doctor appointment. While eating, the contractions continued to be steadied.  We both agreed to head to the hospital.  I arrived at 8:30am and was sent to the maternity observation room.  At that time, I was 2-3 cm dilated.   My doctor was called and at 10:30am, I was admitted. 
 
At 12:30pm, the on-call doctor (not my doctor) was making hospital rounds. When she checked me, I was still only about 3 cm dilated.   At 2:30pm, the on-call doctor returned and I was now 4 cm dilated.  She asked for my permission to break my water.  When my water broke, we discovered Noah had a bowel movement inside the womb.   At that time, the doctor informed me that NICU would be present during delivery for risk of respiratory problems if he ingested the poop.  Up until this point, I debated whether to get an epidural.  But once we discovered Noah passed a bowel movement and the possible complications associated, we prayed and I requested the epidural. 
 
I wasn't trying to be a hero by going all natural. I'm actually a chicken when it comes to pain or medicine. I've never been hospitalized, had major surgery or anything of that sort (a few stitches on my leg but nothing major). Because of the possible side affects of an epidural, I wanted to hold out as long as I could. However, in light of what we could be facing, I knew I could not focus on managing contractions and praying for Noah and his health. I also did not want my husband divided in prayer either - all focus was on Noah. When the doctor mentioned NICU, that was the only time I teared up. But yet, God is faithful and His peace overwhelmed my heart. I got the epidural and was able to nap/pray through. We are grateful for those who immediately began praying when informed of the new developments.
 
My heart was at peace even still but I knew we had to wage war in prayer. I stirred up every ounce of faith and hope. I first pleaded the blood of Jesus Christ over the delivery room.  I rebuked any unclean spirit, sickness or illness or complication from any previous delivery in that room.  And then I invited the Holy Spirit to be present and to fill the delivery room - cleansing and consecrating the place as holy.  We had praise and worship music playing the entire time and we declared God's word through Scripture.  I resolved to fight and not to resign to the possibilities - it was not an option for us.  I thanked God in advance for no complications, respiratory problems or health risks.  I asked God once, and then by faith, I thanked and praised Him until we saw our little boys' face.  Please make no mistake, I'm no spiritual giant, many were praying and even more, God is faithful. 
 
After my water was broken, I was given an IV to help with dilation. The on-call doctor said if I do not deliver before 6pm, my doctor will not deliver Noah.  My initial thought in the natural was that there is a slim chance I will dilate enough and be ready for labor. But even still, I prayed and had others praying as well because I wanted my doctor to deliver Noah. To my surprise, at 4:45pm, my doctor shows up.  She checks me and says, it's time, very calmly.  She was so calm that it took a moment for her words to register in our minds that Noah is coming, he's really coming, now.  It happened so fast, we barely had time to text the update. 
 
This was another answered prayer.  I praise God because my contractions were accelerated and I was also dilated enough to begin the labor process.  I had friends praying specifically for this when given the IV because I have heard of instances where mom is induced to accelerate the contractions but was not dilated enough and resulted in a distress baby which could potentially lead to other concerns or complications.  I thank God for answering specifically this prayer. 

My doctor immediately put on her gloves and we began pushing.  I am super thankful for our doctor.  She is an older lady, very well experienced with a low c-section rate.  She has been rated best doctor in the Fort Worth area for several years.  Finding this doctor and this office was an all God thing as well.  We just moved to the area and due to my work, we were temporarily staying in Waco to minimize the daily commute while my paperwork was being completed for me to begin working from home.  We looked up doctors within our network and prayed God would lead us to the right doctor and office.  I was due for another appointment as soon as we arrived in Fort Worth so time was of the essence.  Indeed, God pulled through.  We were delighted when we saw the doctor office and had our first appointment with our doctor.  Another added bonus is that her office is 5 minutes from our home.  And if that were not enough, God knows too many options can throw me for a loop so when it came to choosing a hospital, there was only one option, Texas Harris Health. Texas Health is the only hospital my doctor deliveries at and my insurance covers. A super bonus is that the hospital is 2 minutes from my doctors office which is super close to home.

As the labor process began, my doctor was calm which helped me to remain calm.  She was motherly but professional - very natural in her work.  With every push, she kept encouraging me, "that's right baby, good girl."  At 5:30pm, my doctor left and said she would be back. The attending nurse, Dawn, pushed with me.  She was a God-sent as well.  She was encouraging, coached me in breathing and pushing and even joined in prayer with us.  The one thing she kept telling me to do was "relax, relax."  Through this pregnancy, I am realizing more and more that I don't know how to relax!  I'm prayerfully working on it - funny how my pregnancy did a transforming work in my physical body but also spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. 

Pushing seemed like eternity because my contractions were so long and I could still feel the pressure of when the contractions were coming.  The epidural took the pain of the contractions away but I felt everything else.  My doctor says that is a good epidural, which I agree.  I was not disconnected with the process. 

At some point during pushing, I remember feeling a little discouraged.  I didn't feel like we were making progress because Noah was not coming out.  However, Dawn and my husband were great at reassuring me that I was making progress and to keep up the good work.  Dawn kept saying to me, "Don't give up on Noah, keep going." God in his perfectness led her to say just what I needed to hear and my husband was supportive in reassuring, reaffirming and feeding me ice chips! Lol.  Michael prayed with me with every contraction and every push - I needed to hear those prayers out loud and it worked.  I could not have asked for a better man.  Praise you Lord.

I quoted Scripture, Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." And then something clicked.  I realized it was all mental and a determination of my will.  I resolved to relax and chill out.  I got my head back in the "game" and literally began saying out loud, "I praise you God for every small victory, through every push. In the Name of Jesus, we are making progress!"  While Noah was not completely out yet, we were making progress though the enemy was attempting to discourage me to give up. 

Noah is so very sweet.  With every push, he was helping me by wiggling out. Michael witnessed it!  When Noah finally crowned, NICU was called in and we were waiting on my doctor. It seemed like FOREVER for my doctor to arrive.  Noah was ready to come and I was trying not to push but he was coming. Dawn and another nurse were attending to me and NICU were in the background prepping.  Everyone was calm and at that point, my adrenaline or something kicked and apparently, I was a little silly, delirious or giddy?  My husband says somewhat delirious.  The room was cracking up - all smiles no outward laughs (possibly for fear of the pregnant lady) but I could tell they were all trying their best to control themselves and stifle their laugh.  I promise, I was not on any medication!

What had happened was Noah was wanting out and I was trying so very hard not to push because my doctor needed to arrive.  At this point, the nurses thought a distraction tactic (small talk) would do the trick for me.  Umm...not.  If anyone knows me, I've never been one for small talk and I can smell a distraction tactic a mile away! :) Their attempt was very sweet but at that point, all I wanted to know where was my doctor.  Questions surrounding the color of Noah's nursery, etc. was not working.  I was consciously exercising self control because I did not want to yell (I'd done so well up until this point, why blow my clean record?) but if I would have allowed myself too, I probably would have bitten someones head off.  Baby boy was coming and I was ready to push him out!  But praise God for helping me to patiently hold out and respond sweetly to the well-intentioned nurses.  Sounding delirious was a better option than being a preggo-zilla. 

I did try my very best to answer their questions initially but Noah kept coming and coming.  Michael tried to answer on my behalf too.  At some point, I actually called the nurses out on their tactic because I didn't want to be rude by not responding because I did not want to talk or respond.  In a sweet, sing-song voice and a smile, I calmly said, "I know what you are doing, you are trying to distract me but it's not working.  I don't want to answer any questions.  Can you please answer my question?  Where is my doctor?" They smiled (and Michael tried his very best not to burst out in laughter).  And this is when my nurse Dawn gave me permission to hit her to release some of the tension.  Michael was on my left, and she was on my right.  At that point, I do remember squeezing both of them a little more tightly.  Finally, my doctor arrives.  Hallelujah!!  I've never been more happy to see a doctor in my life.
My nurse Dawn, was scheduled to leave at 6pm. I asked her if she was going to leave me and she said she's not going home until she sees my baby. That was sweet and comforting.  One big push and Noah's head popped out.  And then another small push and he wiggled out.  Talk about the greatest relief of pressure I've ever felt.  When my water was initially broken, the doctor said there may not be enough time for Michael to cut the cord.  Noah came out and was not crying, which is good, the doctor had enough time to suction him to get rid of the meconium.  Michael was most definitely able to cut the cord and NICU took him.  He was checked out and minutes later, he was given to me. It's amazing how labor seemed like forever but once I saw baby boy, I honestly cannot remember how long it took or the pain.  We were just grateful to see our baby and that he was healthy. 

My mom arrives from NC and makes it into the delivery room 5 minutes after Noah arrived. God is so good. I'm grateful it worked out this way.  Michael and I had this experience to enjoy together. Also, God allowed my well experienced doctor to deliver Noah and glory be to God, Noah had no lung problems.  I'm excited to see the gifts and talents God has given Noah.  When I was pregnant, we prayed daily for every physical part of his body (internal and external) as well as spiritually, emotionally and mentally.  I prayed for his salvation first and my husband prayed for his wife! But out of all the prayers we prayed, my husband was especially inclined to pray for our son's lungs - strong lungs and vocal cords.  How amazing is this and perhaps a foresight of how Noah will serve God ...  Noah's lungs were potentially at risk but God protected him.  We shall see but I know Daddy has been praying for an anointed worshipper! :)
While in the hospital, Noah had a couple of more hurdles to overcome.  He had low blood sugar and on the second day, he had jaundice. 

I originally wanted my water to break naturally because I thought that would be a clear indicator for me that it was time to go to the hospital (I didn't want false alarms or to be sent home from the hospital, how disappointing!).  But again, God knows best.  He knew Noah passed meconium.  I believe God allowed the doctor to break my water in the hospital so that they could see the meconium in order to treat me.  I would not have known it was meconium if my water had broken at home.  Praise God for not giving me what I "wanted." 
My in-laws shared they had a friend whose baby also passed meconium inside the womb and once it was discovered, she immediately had a c-section.  And here recently, another little one passed meconium and has been receiving treatment with NICU but praise God, updated report is baby is okay! So when I look at my son, I praise God a little more.
What may seem like a "setback" or "bump in the road" may very well actually be the hand of God intervening and resolving a problem.  My desire has been to nurse my son.  However, while in the hospital, there were some challenges.  When the nurse took Noah for his bath (Thursday night), his blood sugar had dropped very low, to the point where they had to give him formula due to medical reasons (our hospital is pro-breastfeeding and will not give a bottle if not medically necessary).  I was okay with it because his health comes first.  But I was conflicted because of well-intentioned nurses and the lactation consultant and their pro-breastfeeding approach and advise.  They were encouraging towards me in continuing with the nursing but I knew my son was not getting enough milk.  But I didn't want Noah to miss out on nursing because the first 24 hours is the most important with getting him latched and familiar.  I was conflicted. 

By Friday, Noah seemed to be a little more fussy than the day before. A mother just knows, my baby was hungry!  But we kept receiving different advice from every nurse regarding his feedings and it was freaking us out because they were essentially saying he wasn't suppose to be eating so much - his stomach is the size of a marble.  And if we overfeed him, he can get diarrhea or an upset tummy.  It was a little frustrating and scary because we didn't want to harm our child.  We prayed and prayed for wisdom.

Finally, we decided to go with our instinct.  Our child was hungry and we are feeding him.  We prayerfully considered all of the advice given and what our pediatrician said made sense to us.  As long as Noah was not spitting up the milk after feedings, he's fine.  He knows when he is full and will stop. Noah had a clean bill of health - lungs checked out, diaper was clean, he must be hungry.  We decided to go with our gut instinct and feed him.  Also, when Michael prayed for wisdom, he sensed that Noah was suppose to be a bigger baby at birth but God's mercy was on me because any bigger of a baby would have been a challenge during delivery. 

In retrospect, Noah's large appetite was him catching up and by taking formula, he was able to poop all of his jaundice out!  The enemy wanted to discourage me about the nursing but God knew he needed to take the formula.  And then the enemy wanted to freak us out about his larger than normal feedings but God knew his jaundice needed to be resolved. 

Again in God's goodness, he works all things out.  When Noah went to his 2 day appointment, he had no more jaundice and gained 7 ounces. And his blood sugar was regulated while in the hospital. Praise God. 
 
Noah has finally tapered off on huge feedings and is back to what doctors call "normal" or "average" feeding for newborns.  He is also on a semi-schedule.  Our baby boy is a great size and weight.  We had no idea what size clothes to buy so we purchased a little of each size.  He is almost outgrowing his newborn clothes and is a sturdy, hearty baby.   

I cannot praise God enough. God has not forgotten a single detail. He is sovereign.  Surely, Psalm 139 is ever so true!


Comments

Popular Posts