Our Assignment

In preparation for this weekend Sunday lesson, these words from a worship song kept coming to mind: "I give myself away, So you can use me...My life is not my own."  Those words kept replaying and replaying.

After the lesson, I think understand why the Spirit kept singing that song over me. Healthy churches & healthy Christians make disciples. 

The last instructions that Jesus gave is known as The Great Commission. It says this: "Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

If we are in Christ, this is our assignment. This is our mission. We have been commissioned. This is a commandment that as Christ followers we are called, commanded and expected to obey. 

I'm reminded that the Scriptures do not say in some seasons make disciples. Or when my schedule is more free or when life is less busy make disciples, or when it's convenient. It simply says, "Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations ..."

Jesus was speaking to his disciples. In order to make disciples, we must be a disciple ourselves - an intentional Christ follower. Second, discipleship requires love. In John 21:15-17, Jesus asks Peter the question, "Do you love me?" to which Peter replies "yes" and three times Jesus says, "feed my lambs, take care of my sheep, and feed my sheep."  In essence, Jesus is saying, "shepherd the flock, my sheep, pastor their soul, teach them, protect them, tend to them, love them."  Finally, all of this amounts to 
"giving our life away ... giving of ourselves (time, resources and comforts)."

I
t is true making disciples requires a "giving of our life away." But I submit to you it's not a "giving away" that is negative or empty. Yes, there will be "sacrifice" at times.  Maybe uncomfortable. Or "inconvenient." But the joy far outweighs any "sacrifice." It's a "giving away" that refreshes and replenishes. It's a giving away because we're so grateful and have been given much. It's a pouring into from a place of overflow from our own life and walk with Jesus. It takes on the form of doing and sharing life with people, walking with them, talking with them and simply inviting them into our world and life and using those moments to "teach."  Discipleship is not complicated. It just requires a heart that is willing, surrendered, and obedient.

So regardless of the season of life we find ourselves in, we're all called to make disciples. Yes, in different phases of life, our discipleship may look different and take on a different shape, but no one is exempt, we're all called. We've been commissioned.  Myself most definitely included. 

How well are we at being a disciple and obeying and making disciples? 


Comments

Popular Posts