unsolicitated advice

I have read in books and magazines to "watch out" for unsoliciated (sometimes crazy) pregnancy/parenting advice.  As for me at this point in my pregnacy, I must say, I've actually received good advice.  Some silly (that I just laugh and will ignore) but for the most part, practical advice.  

I naturally enjoy hearing stories and peoples' experiences, so I don't mind listening.  Besides, who knows, I might pick up a thing or two.  I also think people like to share their personal experience or wisdom.  As humans, I think we all like to feel we imparted or contributed something of significance or we desire to share a part of us to another.  So why not.  I'll listen to pregnancy/parenting advice (as long as it's not too bizarre, that is).   I'll filter it and take away what works for us.

So here is what I've received so far (both silly and practical- you decide):

1.  Rest
2.  Don't stress out or else might stress baby
3.  Stay calm and peaceful
4.  Walk regularly.  It'll help with delivery.  (This was actually from my dad)
5.  Eat veggies and fruits
6.  Stay emotionally healthy
7.  Look at funny pictures so your baby will be happy (gee...I wonder if a VN person said this!)
8.  Don't frown or else your baby will come out frowning
9.  Enjoy time with husband before baby comes
10.  Husband comes first then, baby.  We are first wives then mommies
11.  Don't overly protect your baby.  Let people love them and hold them.  It's a blessing. And when they get older, they won't be so clingy.
12.  Don't overly dress your baby.  If you are cold, they are cold.  If you are hot they are hot.
13.  When you take baby from the warm house to the cold car, warm up the car.  Cover the car seat and place baby in the car.  Take off the blanket.  Let their body naturally adjust to the temperature otherwise, overly "protecting" them for fear they will get sick will actually help them get sick.
14.  "My kids were all easy. They can eat anything.  They are not picky.  When it came to bottle feeding, I gave them cold milk.  Don't microwave the milk, they'll get use to it and won't be easy going."
15.  The day before labor, record thoughts and feelings.  Write a letter to your baby.
16.  Take lots of pictures.
17.  If you can't eat one type of food, eat something else.  You must find something in order to feed baby.
18. "Eat seafood so your baby will have strong teeth and bones.  See my kids, they are strong."
19.  Kids demand a lot from you and they keep demanding more.
20.  In regards to pregnancy and the actual delivery - "Every pregnancy is different.  Just go with the flow.  There is nothing to worry about, it's natural."
21.  "Blessed are those who are flexible for thou shall not break!"
22.  You need to eat more, you are eating for two.
23.  Don't drink coffee or coke (or dark liquids), your baby will come out dark.
24.  Pray even more so. This is spiritual.

So there you have it.  Community living at its' premium. :)

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm not an expert, but I think babies also eat, poop and sleep. hahaha =P Pls pass that info to Anh Dat if doesn't know that too. hehhe

Popular Posts